Following are the different kinds of public utility services:
1. Electrical Utility: An organization operating in the electric power industry (usually a public utility) is referred to as an electric utility. Such organizations deal in the production and distribution of electricity for the purpose of selling it in a regulated market.
The electrical utility industry majorly plays the role of power supply provider in almost every country. Electric utilities cover different types of entities, from investor-owned to publicly-owned or from cooperatives to nationalised entities.
These may be involved in some or all industry aspects. Electricity markets can also be regarded as electric utilities as these undertake buying and selling of electricity and often play the role of dealers but are generally not indulged in production and distribution.
The regional and national bodies regulate the utilities. The demand for electric utilities is, however, on the rise.
2. Banks and ATMs: India is among the biggest and rapidly growing economies of the world. Due to this, there is swift growth in the banking sector.
Public and private sector banks, regional rural banks, foreign banks, and cooperative banks can be found throughout the nation.
Some years before, it was not easy to locate an ATM even in urban areas. However, today, ATMs of major banks can be found even in rural areas.
3. Postal Services: India Post is the other name given to the Postal Department of India. It is the authorized postal system of India.
People have given the name post office to the postal system run by the government. The postal system of India is considered the largest in the world, with more than 155,015 post offices.
Out of these, about ten percent can be found in the urban areas and the rest in rural areas.
4. Telecommunication Services: Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) is a government organization having its headquarters in New Delhi.
It is the leading telecommunication service provider in India. BSNL was established in 2000, and since then, it has taken over the telecommunication network maintenance and telecom services from the previous departments, viz.
- Telecom Operations (DTO) and
- Departments of Telecom Services (DTS).
However, there are also various other private players in the telecom industry who prove to be tough competitors for the government telecom organizations.
A few well-known names in the telecom sector offering varied services like a landline, mobile, broadband, etc., are Bharti Airtel, Reliance Communications, Idea Cellular, Jio Infocom, Tata Docomo, Aircel, MTS India, Vodafone, Videocon, etc.
5. Waste Management: The activities associated with managing Pastes from their beginning till end come under waste Management.
Various activities to be included in waste Management are a collection of waste, its transportation, treatment disposal along with monitoring and regulation.
Framing the rules and regulations regarding waste management and recycling also form a part of it.
Different types of wastes, be it industrial, household, biological, and even life-threatening ones, are handled through the process of waste management.