Following are the limitations of behavior modification:
1. The main basis of criticism that is faced by behavior modification is due to the fact that the operant conditioning principles which were developed by Skinner were based on the experiments conducted with white rats.
According to some critics, this technique tries to compare human behavior with rats as it is applied rat morphism. However, in reality, the functioning in any organization is quite sophisticated in comparison to Skinner’s box.
2. The concept of personal autonomy faces threats from operant conditioning as this technique neglects the individuality of an individual.
3. Freedom of selection of behavior is greatly limited by OB MOD.
4. One of the assumptions of OB Mod is that the behavior of any individual can be influenced by his or her environment and there is only a nominal effect of his/her internal forces.
5. The techniques of OB Mod are oversimplified. These techniques do not have anything new or innovative. In fact, it is old wine in a new bottle.
6. The attempts made to modify the behavior of employees by reinforcement in OB mod are based upon the conventional management concept of stimulating the individuals to do what they are expected to do.
7. The internal factors affecting behavior are neglected by OB Mod. The fact that some employees give more importance to the inherent satisfaction of a job is also neglected by it.
8. One of the important criticisms of OB Mod is that the managers are mandated to associate the performances with the rewards regularly and are coerced to conduct psycho-analysis of the workforce.
9. Various groups such as students in the colleges, patients with behavioral problems, criminals, etc., have been mainly focused on the implementation of OB Mod.
Most of the organizations are progressively utilizing the various techniques of OB Mod despite its various criticism.