Performance counseling attempts to help an employee in the following ways:
- It helps an employee to understand his own strengths and weaknesses. More effective counselling sessions even enable employees to make their independent SWOT analysis, i.e., opportunities and threats in achieving the performance can also be made clear to such employees for their independent performance.
- Since good performance counseling believes in giving feedback information about the employees’ behavior, so also their performance, it helps in improving the professional and interpersonal competence of employees.
- It helps in setting goals, formulating an action plan for further improvement of employees:
- It helps the employees to identify different alternatives for dealing with problems.
- A good performance counseling session being supportive and being empathetic; employees feel encouraged to openly discuss their aspirations, conflicts, and problems.